Pages

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

This is the life

I feel like a posh lady today. I'm not at work, my hair is wound into tight curls at the back of my neck and my nails are done.

This morning, I drove my kids to school and dropped them off, wiping lipstick kisses from their cheeks.

"Have a great day, I love you!" I called cheerily as I waved them off from the car park, knowing that nutritious snacks were packed away in their bags.

It's quite a departure from a normal school day, where I hurriedly put my hair in a bun, wipe any toothpaste that might be lingering on my face and literally shove small people from my car as I wrestle with the bag of marking/craft supplies/sporting attire I need for the day. Usually, Daddy has packed the lunchboxes filled with all sorts of packaged treats and a few healthy things to placate me.

Usually I'm stressed and tired and grumpy and rushing to get into work.

But today, I am on leave from work and I am going to a Melbourne Cup function. I feel like a proper lady. Later, my friend's nanny is going to drop me and a friend at the track, all frocked up in our finery. Just like Gwyneth might do. Or Madonna. Or Danni Minogue. I am so excited, I could almost pop!!!


Mind you, I've been up since the crack of dawn - nutrition-and-makeup-and-painting-of-nails-and-fancy-hairdos all take time and straighteners and that bottle of 'goddess for a day' hairspray that I finally tracked down at the bottom of a drawer. I hope I don't fall asleep after the first wine!

My makeup is probably a bit wobbly because I can't see what I'm doing without my glasses on and I realized that while dirty hair makes for easier upstyling, it also makes your greys stand out like neon lights. My dress (under $40 delivered from ebay) may have an iron mark on it, but it's hardly noticeable and I'm sure I'm going to get rained on/spill something anyway...

That sounds a bit more like me, doesn't it? I'm still in there under all this.. fancy.

Breathe in. Breathe out. This is no time for panic, self-criticism or doubt, this is MY day and I'm going to enjoy it :) And just hope nobody else is wearing their glasses, either.








7 comments:

  1. Make sure you share a photo of yourself in all your finery!

    And I'm sure it goes without saying: have a great time!

    Visiting from #teamIBOT xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done! A little bit Mary Poppins, but nice to feel 'fancied up' for the day :)

      Delete
  2. Hope you have had an amazing day- am sure you look totally fabulous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your dress!! What a bargain off ebay! xx Lucy from Bake Play Smile

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is just a gorgeous outfit - I hope you are suitably hungover tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for having a day off for being a lady! It's so nice to do that isn't it?
    And you looked lovely :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thanks for stopping by :)