Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Masterchef... fing..?

We're not sure how or why, but somehow our kids have become experts on Masterchef. Not sure if this shows anywhere but Australia, but it involves amateur chefs battling it out in the kitchen. They prepare amazing dishes using supermarket bought products and then wait on the decision of a panel of foodies to see who will stay and who goes home. Much like a dozen other reality shows, really, but usually it's good, clean, family fun.

The funny thing is, it starts at bedtime, so the kids have rarely seen more than the opening credits as J and I run between cleaning up the kitchen, brushing teeth and getting stories read to our little darlings. It has been running since they were infants, it used to be cute to watch them bobbing up and down to the music while praying they didn't pay too much attention to the smiling, knife-wielding people on-screen!

Despite this limited exposure, Masterchef was very first thing that Miss Piggy added to our school holiday to-do list. Maybe they're playing it in the sandpit at school or something because she had very explicit instructions:

... we'll each have fifteen minutes... we have to make three dishes... there'll be a timer... we'll need a judge... oh, I'll need an apron... mum, you can only go to the fridge once... who will be first to go?

So.... today was 'Masterchef Monday' and J went to work with some trepidation. I think, "I'm afraid to what I might come home to find" were the exact words he used. The girls in this family do not list cleaning up as a strong suit.

Miss Piggy discovered that softdrink does not become jelly, no matter how long you leave it in the fridge.



We feasted on Agrum in a pie dish, bananas with whipped cream eaten from a muffin tray (with plastic spoons at my insistence - didn't want my tray scratched) and chocolate mug cakes (that's what I whipped up as a contestant).

Mr Z played 'judge' and said things like, "Mum has more experience in the kitchen but I like that you made two dishes", "you should have realised that your jelly would not set" and "I'm sorry, but you'll have to leave the Masterchef kitchen".

In all, the morning was considered a grand success, and they've already started begging for a repeat next Monday!
______________________________________________________

Here's my Chocolate Mug Cake recipe:


4 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp milo
handful of m&ms/choc buttons
1 egg
3 tbsp milk
1.5 tbsp oil
dash of vanilla essence
extra m&ms/buttons to garnish

1. Add ingredients in order, stirring as each is added.
2. Microwave for 3 minutes (1000W microwave)
3. Serve with cream/icecream on a plate or eat straight from the mug.

Easy enough for kids to do independently :) Fun to eat. Ingredients we all have in our cupboards!

4 comments:

  1. Very cute Sam. Love Zander's feedback...very 'foodie' sounding :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!! What a great mummy you are and what imaginative children you have xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Couldn't find your email address and in wandering around I found your "mug" recipe. Can I assume that "milo" is cocoa powder? I have a recipe for brownie in a mug but have never had courage to try -- now I'll have to on those days when I need a fix. I've been known to mix chopped pecans with chocolate chips and eat with a spoon when that happens!!!

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milo is an Aussie thing - it's a lot milder flavour than cocoa... malt flavour with viamins and stuff in it. I like to eat it direct from the tin - but shhhh, that's a secret! Maybe cut it down to 1 tbsp of cooking cocoa or give your recipe a try :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete

I love reading your comments, thanks for stopping by :)