Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Birthday treats - cherry slice recipe

The party at the park (yesterday) was lots of fun. I hope the guests had as much fun as we did :) Here are some pictures from the grand occasion.

Ahhh... I see what all the fuss was about... Cake IS good!

Good boy, reading the cards first!
Zingzilla Birthday cake made by me. Shame about
the teenage acne he seems to have!!
Cupcake tree makes its usual party appearance :)

Why yes - here in Australia, we really DO ride kangaroos to school!

_________________________________________________________________________________

Cherry Slice, Lime slice and Fruit Kebabs
(on Paddlepop sticks to minimise risk of injury)


Cherry Slice Recipe:

Ingredients:
A) 1 pack scotch finger biscuits (I am lazy and these are easiest to crush)  and 3/4 cup of shredded coconut (desicated would also be fine)

OR

B) 3 cups of coconut

1/2 pack of those sticky cherries you buy in the cooking aisle, chopped fine
1/2 can condensed milk
100g melted butter
Pink colouring (optional)
375g block of dark cooking chocolate
1/3 cup cream
(8 x 8" slice tray, saucepan for melting chocolate, two mixing bowls)

Method:
1. Crush biscuits. Or, preferably, find someone to do it for you ;)
2. Add shredded coconut.
3. In a separate bowl, mix condensed milk and butter until combined. Add chopped cherries and a tsp of food colouring (if desired)
4. Add 'wet' ingredients to dry ingredients
5. Press into your slice tray and refrigerate
6. Melt dark chocolate. Add cream and blend well.
7. Pour over slice base
8. Return to refrigerator until set
9. Cut with a hot knife

______________________________________________________

This is my own recipe, but I have taken inspiration from my friend Tameka who makes an absolutely unbeatable cherry ripe slice (much more fiddly than this one) and my oldest friend Jo - who loves no fuss cooking as much as I do (and who gave me the easy lime slice recipe that I used as a base).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thanks for stopping by :)