Pages

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Gingerbread recipe

I've promised this recipe to a few people, so here it is...

A couple of years ago I went on the hunt for the perfect gingerbread recipe - I like them a little bit soft, not too much sugar (because, lets face it, my little people are going to eat a lot of them and they're no fun when they're sugared up) easy and quick to make. I tried lots of different recipes before I came up with this one of my own.


Sam's Gingerbread Recipe



'Dry' ingredients:

3 cups of plain flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

'Wet' ingredients:

125g softened butter (I usually over-microwave it and it still turns out OK)
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup honey

1. Preheat oven to 180 C (fan-forced) 
2. Mix 'wet' ingredients together.
3. Add sifted dry ingredients
4. Knead into dough
5. Roll out approx 5mm thick
6. Cut shapes
7. Bake for approx 10 mins
8. Let cool, then decorate



This recipe will make around 30 medium sized gingerbread men or 50 stars (I make them each year for my students to decorate at Christmas time). I usually halve it for home (it's tricky to halve an egg, but NOT impossible).

_____

PS They're 'snowmen' not ghosts... It's so hot here this week, I'm dreaming of cooler weather. Snow would be perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thanks for stopping by :)