Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Random ramblings...

a·fi·cio·na·do

[uh-fish-yuh-nah-doh; Spanish ah-fee-thyaw-nah-thaw, ah-fee-syaw-] 
noun, plural a·fi·cio·na·dos /əˌfɪʃyəˈnɑdoʊz; Spanish ɑˌfiθyɔˈnɑðɔs/ Show Spelled [uh-fish-yuh-nah-dohz;
an ardent devotee; fan, enthusiast.

I used that word in conversation yesterday. Well, I say conversation... actually, it was a text. It wasn't very well punctuated, but... Look how smart I look, using a big word (and spelling it correctly). Did I mention I had been using a dictionary all damned day at work?

I was that kid that my parents and teachers expected to amount to something great. You know - write a thesis and cure something. Or invent a new type of biodegradeable plastic and save the penguins.

 
Sadly, 'they' were wrong. All of them. I'm a very ordinary, middle-aged primary teacher.

I'm not sure what happened to my brains. Maybe motherhood? Wine? Too many thrill seeking rides in theme parks?

I think about my academic nemesis from school. He was a veritable walking encyclopaedia. I wonder if booze and babies and extreme exhaustion have made him dumb, too?!

I said to J the other day, "I used to be smart". And he smiled sadly and said, "me too, Bylla."

I'm quite sure we used to be smart. And bright. And adventurous.

We should have invented something and made our fortunes. Now we're going to have to rely on our kids to take care of us when we're old. Oh dear.

Best get back to concentrating on being a good parent.

Best tell them it's perfectly OK to be content with being ordinary.

http://essentiallyjess.com/bidding-farewell-rainbow-school-ibot/
 

2 comments:

  1. I smiled at J's response 'me too'. It sounds just like a conversation I would have with my husband. I swear I used to be loads smarter. I fear I've killed way too many brain cells in my party years and then there's the baby brain that just never went away. Sigh. I'm going to focus on being a good parent for now too :) #teamIBOT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I used to be loads smarter. Now I'm not sure what I am.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, thanks for stopping by :)